Who would have thought that the biggest iPad competitor will be coming from a company like Asus. The Asus Transformer Prime is undoubtedly a viable iPad alternative. Not only does the Transformer Prime run the spectacular NVIDIA quad-core processor, but is also the first quad core tablet to run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. While most think that Amazon’s Kindle Fire is giving iPad a raw deal, little do they realize that the Transformer Prime is making headway with the help of the Android developer community that is providing everything from custom ROMs and numerous exploits for making the device customizable.
Speaking of customization, the first step towards customizing any Android device is by rooting it. Thanks to XDA Developers forum member “sparkym3”, we now have a rooting app that can easily root the Transformer Prime. Given below is a step by step guide for rooting the Asus Transformer Prime, followed by the link to the official XDA Developers Forum thread.
Disclaimer: Please follow the below given guide at your own risk. WML Cloud and it’s team will not be responsible if your Asus Transformer Prime gets damaged or bricked during the below mentioned process.
- Asus Eee Pad Transformer (TF101) or Transformer Prime (TF201)
- Your Transformer Prime (TF201) must be version 188.8.131.52 or an older version. If you have 184.108.40.206, it is not possible to root it as yet.
- Your Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime should be running Android version 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- We recommend that you have a fully charged battery before starting the rooting process or at least have a battery level of more than 50 percent.
- Make sure that you backup your personal data to avoid any kind of data loss.
- USB Debugging will have to be enabled. You can do this by going to Settings -> Development Options -> USB Debugging.
- You should close all system tools which may interfere with the process such as an antivirus or anti malware application, as well as other software and firewall apps.
- Please bear in mind that this rooting procedure is only for Asus Transformer Prime TF201 and TF101, which is running Android ICS 4.0.3. Be careful with your device during the rooting process, as the below mentioned guide is to be followed solely at your own risk.
Step 1: Download SparkyRoot
Step 2: Connect your Asus Transformer Prime tablet to your computer via USB.
Step 3: Copy the SparkyRoot.apk file directly to the root of your tablet’s SD card.
Step 4: Disconnect Transformer Prime from your computer and and install the SparkyRoot APK on your tablet, using a file explorer application.
Step 5: Launch the SparkyRoot application.
Step 6: On the main screen of the application you will see 4 buttons:
Select (Tap) on step 1 to perform checks and run the exploit.
Select 2 and open ASUS App Backup and try backing up any app.
Step 7: Return to SparkyRoot screen:
Select step 3 to install Superuser app.
Select step 4 to finish the rooting process.
Your Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 is now rooted, thanks to the SparkyRoot app.
For any feedback queries and updates regarding the above mentioned procedure, head over to the XDA Developer’s Forum thread.
SparkyRoot apk Root Method [XDA Developers Forum]