It’s time to run Ubuntu On Android devices. The porting of famous Linux distributions to make them run on Android is not a new concept and can be laborious. However, if you are an Ubuntu fan and would like to install it on your Android device, then check out Ubuntu Installer. It has been designed to run Ubuntu On Android devices. It is a simple installer app for Ubuntu that brings the choice of two Ubuntu images for installation on your Android device. There is a small and large image. The larger image contains some very handy software such as Mozilla Thunderbird, GIMP Image Editor, Openoffice, Firefox and others.
Ubuntu Installer is is basically a customized Ubuntu 10.10 Oneiric Ocelot image, which has been optimized for the ARM (Android) processor. This enables running a full Ubuntu OS within your Android operating system. In other words, you can still make calls, text, and use android without having to restart your smartphone.
The Ubuntu Installer offers the following features:
- You can run Ubuntu On Android devices.
- You can easily access Android & Ubuntu simultaneously.
- You can benefit fully from the Ubuntu Software center and update manager.
- You can access files on your SD card and internal memory from using Ubuntu.
- LXDE based Desktop.
- Ability to boot into both Gnome or LXDE desktops
- You can set screen size on boot.
- A Rooted Android device.
- 1GHZ processor (recommended by the developer).
- Android version 2.1 or higher.
- Kernel will loop device support.
- At least 3.5GB of free SD Card space for the large image and minimum 2.5GB of free space for the smaller image.
- Ext2 file system support.
- Data connection on your device.
Choose your desired Ubuntu Installation type, i.e. large or small image and the Boot Script. Once done, follow the simple on screen instructions .
Ubuntu Installer is available both as a Free and Paid version. The free version is sufficient to install an run Ubuntu on your Android device. For more information, check out the below video, followed by the download link for Ubuntu Installer.
Note: Before you install Ubuntu on your device, make sure that you check your device’s compatibility from this Device Compatibility List. According to user response, some seem to love the app and one user even commented that he was even able to install Ubuntu on his on a CM7 rooted B&N Nook Color. Whereas, some have complained of a bricked device, perhaps because they did not see the “device compatibility list”. So make sure that you check the device compatibility list (link given above), before proceeding further.
So now you can run Ubuntu On Android devices and bring the Ubuntu magic to your smartphone more easily. If you try this app, please leave a comment to tell us about your experience.