The ICS madness has reached its peak, as more and more Android devices are being upgraded to the latest Android ICS operating system. In a previous post I showed you how to How To Root Asus Transformer Prime With SparkyRoot App. This time I have a guide that will allow you to install the Android Ice Cream Sandwich based AOKP or Android Open Kang Project RC1 ROM on your Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201e. The credit for the AOKP RC1 ROM goes to XDA developer “jermaine151”, who brought us this ROM, which has been based on Milestone 4 of TeamKang’s AOKP ROM.
Before you being the installation of this ROM, we will recommend you to see the XDA Developer’s Forum link given at the end of this post to see the list of updates and possible bugs that may accompany this custom ROM.
Disclaimer: Please follow the given guide at your own risk. WML Cloud and it’s team will not be responsible if your Asus Transformer Prime gets damaged or bricked during the below mentioned process.
- You will require a rooted and unlocked bootloader with CM (ClockworkMod Recovery) version 18.104.22.168 or later to be installed. In order to unlock your boot loader you can use the official Asus bootlaoder unlocking utility that is available at the Asus website: Download Asus Bootlaoder Unlocking Utility
- Make sure that you have a fully charged battery.
- Don’t forget to make a copy of your personal data and files to prevent data loss.
2. Download Google Apps package from your PC and save it as well.
3. Connect your Asus Transformer Prime to the PC with a USB cable.
4. Now, copy both the ZIP files (downloaded earlier), to the root of your SD card and disconnect your tablet from the PC.
5. Power off your Transformer Prime tablet and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by following step 6.
6. Hold Volume Down and Power buttons and when you see words scrolling from the top left corner of your tablet, hit Volume Up in 5 seconds. This will take you to recovery, where you will have to create a Nandroid backup for your current ROM. This means that you are basically backing up your current ROM to restore it in case something goes wrong later on. Making a backup is easy, just select the Backup and Restore option, followed by Backup option.
7. Select wipe data / factory reset and select “Yes”.
Note: This will not delete data on your SD card.
8. Now, select the option “choose zip from SD Card” and browse to AOKP RC1 ZIP file. After selecting the file, confirm installation by hitting “Yes”.
9. To install Google Apps package, which also contains Google Play (Android Market), repeat the same procedure.
10. Once installation is complete, just choose “Go back” option and reboot your Transformer Prime tablet.
Enjoy the ICS based AOKP RC1 ROM on your Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 tablet. For updates, queries and feedback, check out the XDA Developer’s Forum Thread.
Android Open Kang Project RC1 ROM [XDA Developers Forum]