Problem : OLE DB provider ‘STREAM’ for linked server ‘(null)’ returned invalid data for column ‘[!BulkInsert].COLUMN014’
OLE DB provider ‘STREAM’ for linked server ‘(null)’ returned invalid data for column ‘[!BulkInsert].
I got this message when I DTS an Excel file to a database table (the datatype for the destination column is float). I tested by removing that column and it was ok. I saved the file as csv and loaded it and query the table using where isnumeric(column014) = 0 and column014 is not null I got nothing so there should be no invalid data in this column. Then why I got this error when loading from Excel. It didn’t work even if I loaded from the temp table (which is loaded from the csv file so column datatype is varchar) to my destination table. It didn’t work either when I used insert into destination table select * from temp table and also use explicit conversion to convert datatype of the column in temp table to the datatype of the column in destination table.
Has anyone had this problem before? if so how did you solve it? Thanks!
Solution: OLE DB provider ‘STREAM’ for linked server ‘(null)’ returned invalid data for column ‘[!BulkInsert].COLUMN014’
1. Open your *.csv file.
2. Select the first column (I am presuming that is where the data is) and go to Data>Text to Columns
3. Rename all the columns to their respective titles (if not already).
4. Now select the first column, right click, select ‘Format’ and change the format appropriately (So that the format matches the format of the columns in the destination column). For Eg Text, Number, Date etc.
5. Repeat the above step for all the columns.
6. Once finished please seletct all the empty columns and delete them.
7. Repeat the same for all the empty rows. This will ensure there is no extra/corrupted data in the empty cells.
8. Do a ‘Save As’ so that your original file does not gets overwritten.
9. Use the DTS again to download the data from the excel file that you just saved.
If the above does not work, I will require some sample data to work with.
Let me know how it goes.