Problem: “Connection cannot be initiated” error when trying to connect to a smartcenter server.
I cannot connect from my client pc with smartcenter software installed, e.g. Dashboard, to by Checkpoint management server. I get an error of “connection cannot be initiated. Make sure the Server x.x.x.x is up and running”.
I have been connecting just fine for around 3 years, then about a month ago it stopped working. So what changed, well I did upgrade the client from W2K server to W2003. But I did manage to connect ok immediately after the upgrade, but now cannot. I have reinstalled the smartdashboard software on that client machine and also on another and still cannot connect to the smartcenter server. And yes, I have ensured that cpconfig has the correct ip addresses configured in it. Double checked.
The smartcenter server runs on an IP330 with NG FP3 installed. I am a little concerned as I cannot alter or view anything on the smartcenter server…Help!
Solution: “Connection cannot be initiated” error when trying to connect to a smartcenter server.
I think it displays internal certificate fingerprint and Peer DN when a site is created but I just noticed that they didn’t change when SIC changed. So this does not unfortunately solve anything.
– There are no windows firewalls running on your gui client machine?
– You could also try sic_reset and recreating the SIC through cpconfig again.
– You can also check the status of the SIC in $CPDIRlogcpd.elg. This tells you when it was renewed etc.
– Is there NAT involved in any place?
– Are there more than one ip address in your gui client (several network cards etc)?
– Disconnect all networks from fw and run fw unloadlocal (stops enforcing rule base, i.e. not secure anymore) through management cable – connect only gui client to the fw and check the connection.