Shared computers that are used by a number of people at work and at home often suffer from rough use by users. This is because something as delicate as a DVD drive can be overused by a novice user which can result in damaging the lens. This is particularly the case when people start burning too many discs which reduces the life of the optical drive. Nero BurnRights is a free tool which enables Windows users to restrict access for burning discs using a DVD drives on a PC.
The use of this application is pretty straight forward and all you have to do is to launch the tool and select burn rights for users on a PC. The main interface is quite rudimentary and has three options.
- Everybody has burn rights: This option enables burning rights for all users on a PC
- Administrators: Selecting this option reserves burning rights only for the Administrator account. It is worth mentioning here that this is the built-in Administrator account and not an account with extended privileges. If you don’t know how to unlock the built-in Windows administrator account then refer to the following post: How To Unlock Windows Administrator Account. Using these settings you can optionally initiate the burning process from a restricted account by running a disc burning application using the “Run as Administrator” option (via right-click menu).
- Nobody: This setting is meant to block optical drive burning rights for all user son the PC. You can enable rights anytime using a different option via Nero BurnRights.
Nero BurnRights is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows XP /Server 2003 / Vista (32 bit)
- Windows 7 (compatibility unknown)
Download Nero BurnRights