Problem : The following error occured attempting to join the domain “XYZ”: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect
We had a workstation crash. After the workstation crashed, we ghosted another workstations drive to a new drive that was installed into the machine that crashed. When we brought the machine online and tried to join it to the domain, we get the following error message “The following error occurred attempting to join the domain “xyz”: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect. I then went in and removed the machine name from the domain and tried to rejoin the domain. Still no luck. I then changed the machine name to a name that never existed in the domain. Still no luck…. Any ideas??? Does this have something to do with the ghosted machines SID???
Solution: The following error occured attempting to join the domain “XYZ”: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect
I get random issues when ghosting, as well. For a similar situation, these are the steps I had to take:
1) unplug the network cable
2) login as the local admin (ie. choose “this computer” in the domain list)
3) change the network settings so it is on a Workgroup instead of a Domain
3) a) change the computer name at the same time
4) change the IP (if it is static)
5) reboot, and connect the network cable
6) login again as the local admin (there should be no option for Domain)
7) Optional – change the computer name back if needed
7) a) reboot again if you changed the name back
8) change the network settings back to the Domain
10) login, make sure to select the Domain (default will be local computer)
Hope that works.