VillainROM is a famous name among Android custom ROMs, especially for Samsung handsets. After leaving a lasting impression on Galaxy S and Galaxy S II, the developers have turned to the latest Galaxy Nexus and come up with the very first AOSP R1 ROM for the device. This ROM is compiled from the Android source code repo (branch = android-4.0.1_r1.2 (ITL41F) with Google apps/permissions, etc. added. In this post I will walk you through the installation procedure of this ROM, followed by the download link at XDA Developer’s Forum.
- Slightly modified AOSP based on Android-4.0.1_r1.2 ITL41F (compiled from source, not based on stock ROM).
- Added Google apps and permissions.
- Full ADB root, and su and busybox binaries, with latest Superuser.apk.
- Added Reboot option to power menu.
- Added RECOVERY (reboot) option to power menu.
- Enabled ‘Dreams’ – Android screensavers, accessible from Settings –> Display.
- Increased minimum dalvik heap start size to 16MB for performance testing.
- Includes STOCK ITL41F kernel and NO recovery image (keeps CWM in tact).
- Defaults to live wallpaper.
- Faster than stock.
- Build defaults to English (Great Britain).
- PNG optimized and zip-aligned all APKs.
- Included working LED Flashlight application.
- New VillainROM boot animation.
Disclaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk. WML Cloud and it’s team members will not be responsible if your device gets damaged or bricked during the below mentioned process.
- A rooted Galaxy Nexus. See my guide: How To Root Galaxy Nexus On Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See my guide: How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery 5 On Galaxy Nexus GSM Phone.
- VillainROM AOSP R1 (Caution: This is a mirror link, the original link is no longer available, the integrity of the file has not been verified by us).
Step 1: Download the ROM and copy it to the root of the SD card.
Step 2: Reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
Step 3: Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
Step 4: You will require navigating to install zip from SD Card -> choose zip from SD Card and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
Step 5: After the ROM is chosen, it will be flashed to the device and will take a few minutes.
Step 6: Once the ROM is installed, reboot your device.
For more information, updates and queries, head over to the XDA Developer’s forum thread.