Sometimes you may have many applications such as mail client, editor and Web browser running on one desktop, and you don’t want to mess them up. nSpaces is a free software which adds Ubuntu style workspaces to Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. It also allows password protecting workspaces (virtual desktops). It also has more features than other virtual desktop software like Multi-Tabber.
- Launch Desktops: Create multi desktops on your computer.
- Launch Apps: Open different applications on each separate virtual desktops to improve your productivity.
- Name your space: label your tag for each virtual desktop, the tag is shown on the space switcher.
- Change wallpaper: Your desktop is unique, Set a custom desktop image for each of your desktops and watch as the pictures fade into each other when switching between your desktops.
- Color your space: If you don’t like to set a custom image for each desktop, just set a background color for them.
- Protect your space: If you don’t like anonymous users to use your spaces, just set a password for them.
- Hotkeys for everything: nSpaces has a group of hotkeys for each desktop you created, hotkey for the space switcher.You can change whatever you want.
Virtual desktops, settings and workplace overview (virtual desktop switcher) can be accesed from the system tray or from assigned hotkey.
The nSpaces option from the system tray allows you to give a name to each workspace, keep a custom wallpaper, assign hotkey and to add more work spaces (Using the [+ ] to add and [–] button to reduce the number of workspaces).
Settings from the system tray allows you to launch nSpaces at system startup, password protect workspaces and to as a hotkey for viewing the workspace switcher (see first screenshot). Just click on any workspace switcher image to open the virtual desktop.
nSpaces works with
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7