If you already have a Kindle device or you use Kindle for iPhone, then you must be benefiting from Amazon’s Whispersync functionality, which automatically synchronizes your last page read so you can easily switch between devices and pick up reading from where you last left. If you like reading e-books on your Kindle device, then you might find Kindle for PC application to be quite handy. It is a free tool that lets you read Kindle books on your PC, without requiring a Kindle device.
To use this application you will require logging in with your Amazon account. In case you do not have an account, use the registration dialog box that pops-up at first run, to sign up for a free account.
Once logged in, Kindle for PC displays your library, which contains a few books by default. The left side menu displays options to view all items, as well as downloaded and archived e-books.
You can import your collection or add new collections to organize your books.
Whispersync is automatically enabled by default, but you can also manually sync it with Kindle for PC. To do that, go to the Home screen and click the “Tools” at the top and then select “Sync and Check for New Items” or use the F5 hotkey.
An overview of the key features of Kindle for PC include the following:
- You can purchase, download and read e-books available in the Kindle Store.
- Read the beginning of any e-book for free before buying it.
- Access library of previously purchased books, which are stored on Amazon’s servers.
- Read books in full color, including children’s books, cookbooks, travel books, textbooks and graphic novels.
- Choose from more than 10 different font sizes and adjust words per line.
- Automatically sync bookmarks and last page read.
- View notes and highlights marked on Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone, and iPod touch.
- Zoom in and out of text with a pinch of the fingers (Windows 7 users only).
- Turn pages with a finger swipe (available in a future release for Windows 7 users).
It must be noted that if you attempt to download Kindle for PC from the amazon website, you might be restricted from doing so, as it is only available for certain regions. Nonetheless, you can circumvent this restriction by using the mirror link given below. Kindle for PC works on the following Windows operating systems.
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
Download Kindle for PC [Homepage]
Download Kindle for PC [Mirror Download Link]